Rules and safety
The Lake Hume Cycle Challenge is held on trails and public roads in the Albury Wodonga area. It is therefore important that participants use caution at all times and ride in a protective manner, constantly scanning the environment to be aware of what is happening around them.
For the safety of other cyclists, volunteers, local residents and the general community all participants must abide by the road rules and obey traffic management and marshal directions at all times.
Ride within the law. Police may be on the road so please obey the road rules.
- Always ride on the left-hand side of the road
- Riders MUST not ride more than 2 abreast and must also keep as left as possible to minimize risk from vehicles approaching from behind and attempting to pass (2 abreast does not mean they should consume the whole lane)
- Listen to and obey directions of police and course marshals/volunteers.
- Riders must use hand signals if turning left or right, or stopping.
- Riders must only overtake to the right of another rider and call out ‘passing’ when doing so.
- Riders should always look behind before pulling out to overtake another rider.
- It is the rider’s responsibility to follow the sign-posted route.
- Give way to pedestrians at crossings and when turning at intersections.
- Wear bright clothing that increases your visibility to other road users.
- Always wear your helmet correctly fitted when cycling.
Rail Trails are multiple use areas allowing walkers, runners, horses, mobility scoters and leashed dogs. For the safety of other users and yourself, on the rail trail, remember to:
- Please keep left
- Wheels give way to walkers (mobility scooters excepted)
- Horses give way to all users
To keep the rail trail a great spot for everyone to enjoy, please:
- Respect private property
- Don’t litter (carry in/carry out)
Riders are responsible for their own safety and adherence to road rules. High visibility tops and rear bright tail lights are strongly encouraged.
Disclaimer: By attending this event you may be photographed and/or recorded which may be used for promotional purposes by the Rotary Club of Bellbridge or Lake Hume Cycle Challenge Committee.